Law Offices of Jonathan Gladstone
Free Consultations 410-777-8228
Effective Representation for Complex Issues

How a parent may get a reduction in child support payments

Non-custodial parents living in Maryland and elsewhere in the U.S. may qualify for reductions in child support payments. A parent whose financial situation has significantly changed may qualify for a reduction. A parent of adult children who are able to support themselves may also qualify. A reduction could be granted if the custodial parent has a significantly higher income than the non-custodial parent. If both parents are in agreement that a reduction is necessary, it is even more likely that their request will be granted.

In some jurisdictions, a government agency oversees child support. In cases where both parents agree that the non-custodial parent should have his or her child support payments reduced, the agency may be able to lower that parent's financial obligation before the case has to go before a court. However, in jurisdictions where a government agency does not handle child support, the parents will have to bring their case before a court. This is also necessary when the custodial parent does not agree with the reduction request. If the non-custodial parent has to submit a motion to the court because the custodial parent wants his or her payments in full, there are generally no court fees.

The request to have the case brought before a court should be filed with as little delay as possible. It is generally not possible to have child support payments retroactively reduced, and unpaid payments accumulate. Unpaid child support often results in serious consequences, such as wage garnishments and potential jail time. Parents who are unable to make full child support payments must go through the proper legal channels to prevent these consequences.

If a parent is unable to make timely child support payments and the situation escalates to a court case, he or she may consider hiring an attorney with experience in family law. An attorney may be able to prove that the parent is unable to continue making full child support payments.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information