Law Offices of Jonathan Gladstone
Free Consultations 410-777-8228
Effective Representation for Complex Issues

May 2017 Archives

Possible uses of child support

Some divorced Maryland parents have the misconception that child support is designed to cover only a child's most basic needs, such as clothing and food. The reality is that it may cover a variety of expenses, and parents may benefit from a full understanding of the purpose of child support.

About gray divorces

Maryland residents may be surprised to learn that the factors that indicate an older couple may be at risk for a divorce may not be what they automatically assume. The risk of divorces among individuals who are 50 years old or older are not spread evenly among them. Thirty-four percent of gray divorces occur among couples who have been married more than 30 years, while those who have been married over 40 years account for 10 percent of gray divorces.

Stepparent adoption: What if the other parent doesn't consent?

There are many reasons why a stepparent may want to adopt his or her stepchild. You may have your own personal reasons for making this decision for yourself and your family. However, if the other biological parent does not offer his or her consent to your wish to adopt, you could face some serious roadblocks.

How alcohol or drug abuse affects child custody

A divorced Maryland parent who has a child custody agreement in place and finds out that the other parent is abusing alcohol or drugs may be concerned about the child's safety. It might be necessary to take out a restraining order against the other parent or to deny that parent visitation. However, a parent may also need to take formal steps to get the custody and visitation agreement changed.

What to do when a parent harasses a child by phone or text

Maryland custodial parents of young children might wonder whether they can reduce or block the other parent's communication with their child by text, phone or video call. These communications may be part of the custody and visitation agreement if the non-custodial parent lives far away and is unable to see the child in person regularly. A court is generally reluctant to interfere with the relationship between a parent and child unless there are issues such as abuse.